John Sheu wrote:
Imagine a scenario of an ideal system, with nothing else running and, no
overheads for swapping processes.  You have 1 high CPU-bound process(a)
utilising 70% of the CPU time slices/s.  It is happy using the CPU
without any interruptions from any other processes.  (re)nicing it will
not make it run any faster or slower as there is no other processes to
share the CPU time slices.  In this scenario, there is no point to
renicing the process as there is nothing else to share the CPU time with.

Under this ideal system, with one CPU-bound process, it would monopolize
the processor, i.e. 100% utilization.  The only reason why such a single
process would _not_ use 100% CPU is if the thread were blocking on
something else, e.g. I/O requests or sleeping.

I guess you are trying to be a pedant here.  Or I over simplified my
explanation.  Expanding on your view point, my CPU utilisation would be
100% all the time, distributed between all the processes currently
running.  Guess what? it isn't.  Go and learn about kernel scheduling.

I did try replying to the rest of your email, but it was patently clear
that trying to explain how Unix type operating systems work would be
clearly beyond you, so I gave up.  All the answers are in my previous
post, please read it and be enlightened.

Matt.