My testing RHEL5 box running 64bit multilib does exhibit this problem
with -pingboost.  Note it does have both nptl and linuxthreads support
built into glibc.  It also uses a 2.6.16 kernel.  My gentoo boxes are
using glibc2.4 which only support nptl and are using 64bit multilib on a
2.6.16 kernel.  The Gentoo boxes (used anywhere we have full control of
the machines) do not exhibit the problem at all.  Our RHEL4 boxes do not
have the problem at all. (they are used where we do not have 100%
control of the boxes.)