Hi,
  I'm trying to set the priority/competition for processes of a
counter-strike source server running on a fedora core 3 dedicated box to
"ni -1" or more ( using the command "nice -1"). Linux only allows nice
to be used as root and if we decide to start the server as root using
nice this is fine. It also works if we start the server with super user
privileges. There is no way the server will go public running as a root,
theres just too many security risks.

To solve this we did the next best thing (we could think of), to renice
the process using the PID file created with the -pidfile line in sources
start script. No problems creating a pid file or setting a cron job to
read off this every 5 mins or so and complete its task (ultimately we
want it to renice whenever the server crashes/changes process ID for any
reason). However, we find that when we renice the server's process to
anything at all, using the cron method or manually it either crashes
with the CPU going up to 80-90% or there is huge lag on the server with
the server taking up 50% or more of the CPU. Is this a bug in source,
something wrong with our method or something else.

To measure this we are using Top as well as play testing the server itself.

Has anyone else got a better method for this or a solution for our
problems?

Thanks
     James Gilbert
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]