I'd hazard a guess that it's the build number. I'm not sure when Valve
increments it, but I would expect them to do so whenever they introduce
a new feature or fix a bug. Since quite a few of the builds are internal
and/or licensor-only, the updates to the Source/Goldsource engines we
get via Steam tend to have build numbers boosted by much more than 1.

Build numbers, if used, tend to be much more precise than version
numbers (i.e. 1.4), but they are only important for internal affairs,
such as, for example, "Hey Alfred, well done on the renderer changes you
made since build 2784. Is 2795 production-quality yet? We should get it
released soon, customers are constantly bugging us about that texture
bug." For us laymen (or laywomen, respectively; Black Mesa is an
equal-opportunity employer, remember?), these numbers have just about no
significance; only if we want to report a bug we should include it so
that they can assert that we aren't running a Stone Age-version.

The summary: it's an internal versioning number. Send it to Valve when
you are reporting a bug.

Hope that helps,
~~ Ondra

Evaldas Žilinskas wrote: