ok, does the issue still occur if the servers do not auto update?

Jonathan wrote:
Yes, the nodes share images. However, i gave the nodes their own ~/.steam
directory, so it's always the same machine that writes the
clientregistry.blob file. Sure, i could remove it each time a server is
fired up, but it feels like a very ugly hack. :/

The .so files i have in the image directories are:

core_i386.so
engine_amd.so
engine_amd64.so
engine_i486.so
engine_i686.so
filesystem_stdio_amd64.so
filesystem_stdio_i386.so
libSteamValidateUserIDTickets_amd64.so
libSteamValidateUserIDTickets_i386.so
proxy_i386.so
steam_api_i486.so
steamclient_i486.so
test1.so
test2.so
test3.so
tier0_s_i486.so
vstdlib_s_i486.so

I have no idea what those test*.so files are and if they're supposed to be
there or not.

Suns grid software. Is there a seperate server image to be run on each
node? or does it share the images and deliver them to whichever node
requires them, as such perhaps running the same image on different nodes
with different ips or hardware ids could be causing the glitch, it is
likely that there is some unique identifier contained in the
clientregistry.blob.

hows about a dirty hack to get it working temporarily?
add a line to your server initiating script to remove
clientregistry.blob before the server starts ;).

As to server crashes, bad maps and plugins often cause hlds to crash
unexpectedly and i have not run into any issues when restarting the
server, either scripted or manually, however i have no experience
running the same server image on different boxes.

Jonathan wrote:

AFAIK they are all clean halflife installations with only cs running
(this
is not hl2 with cs source)

The strange thing is that it all works fine for a few times if i delete
the clientregistry.blob file, but then after a while the crashes start
appearing again..

The way my system works is that a user on my web site "books" a server
for
a certain period of time. When that is done, a column is added to an sql
database. A cron script on the master cluster server reads that sql
table,
and if there is a new booking to be made, launches a server on one of
the
nodes as a job submitted to the cluster. If the booking time for the
server has went out, the server is shut down by the master server, ie,
it
terminates the submitted job. Does the hlds server need to quit
gracefully
in order for it to work properly the next time it's started? I mean,
does
hlds recover badly from crashes?

I don't know how sun grid engine works internally.. if it kills hlds
properly or not (i think it does).

I also have a script that updates everything to the latest versions,
which
i run regularly. Still, i want it to work properly the normal way.

Im no expert but it sounds like a bad plugin, what addons do you have
on
that server?

Jonathan wrote:

Right, that got rid of the errors ... for a couple of minutes :(

I still get crashes, but instead of abort traps i get:

./hlds_run: line 303:  7169 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $CMD

What can be causing this? It still seems to be steam that's crashing,
but
i really can't find out why. Does it have something to do with running
multiple servers on the same box? Can i disable the automatic update
and
instead schedule something as a cron job or such?

The automatic update also takes some time to complete.

The problem was that the ~/.steam/ClientRegistry.blob needed to be
deleted. I tried to delete it for the incorrect user a couple of
times,
but when i did it correctly i got rid of the annoying update crashes.

Hello,

I maintain a network of around 100 counterstrike servers with
roughly
half
of them
as bookable servers in a cluster, for a large cs community in
Sweden.

I run all of the servers on linux gentoo, some on i686 and some on
amd64.

The cluster software I use is sun grid engine 6, and all the server
nodes
are diskless clients.

The ordinary servers run fine, but the bookable ones crash
momentarily
with the
following error:

---------------------------------
AssertPreCondition
Name: NonNullFilePath
Expr: !sFile.empty()
Line: 334
File: ../../../Common/Misc/FileUtil.cpp
./hlds_run: line 303:  8855 Aborted                 (core dumped)
$CMD
problems from
late 2005 running FreeBSD 5.4. Their answer to the problem was to
update
cs using
the steam updater. I did that for all 60 cs installations I got on
the
bookable
servers, but they still crash with the error above. I tried to
examine
the
core
dumps and strace'ing the processes but I didn't find any useful
information.

Regards,
Jonathan Selander