I have not changed the install location since the server was originally
configured a year ago.  The file and directory permissions are proper for
the user running srcds.  I even double checked the rights on the update
tool.

Here is more info on my system:

df -h states:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                       71G  5.2G   62G   8% /
/dev/hda1              99M   70M   24M  75% /boot
/dev/shm              506M     0  506M   0% /dev/shm

With srcds running, cat /proc/swaps states:

Filename                                Type            Size    Used
Priority
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01         partition       2031608 0       -1

With srcds running, cat /proc/meminfo states:

MemTotal:      1035288 kB
MemFree:        641140 kB
Buffers:         35228 kB
Cached:         238800 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         276376 kB
Inactive:        83064 kB
HighTotal:      131008 kB
HighFree:          252 kB
LowTotal:       904280 kB
LowFree:        640888 kB
SwapTotal:     2031608 kB
SwapFree:      2031608 kB
Dirty:               0 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         111704 kB
Slab:            15728 kB
CommitLimit:   2549252 kB
Committed_AS:   210928 kB
PageTables:       1448 kB
VmallocTotal:   114680 kB
VmallocUsed:      7472 kB
VmallocChunk:   105972 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
HugePages_Rsvd:      0
Hugepagesize:     4096 kB

cat /proc/cpuinfo states:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 2205.404
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts
bogomips        : 4414.63

The CPU is not overclocked, and runs cool at about 115 degrees F.

I looked for the following files that the console said were missing:

Error: Material "models/props/cs_office/clouds" : proxy "TextureScroll"
not found!
Error: Material "models/props/cs_office/clouds2" : proxy "TextureScroll"
not found!

Indeed, they were not there.  I do not understand how anything could be
missing on a standard map when I have specified -autoupate and -verify_all
options.  Any ideas here?

I would so dearly love to get back to playing instead of debugging!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Roger

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 17:44:00 -0400, Andrew Forsberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 09:40 +1200, Andrew Forsberg wrote:
> Thank you for your suggestion!  This has been a very frustrating
> experience with a formerly stable server :(
>
> Roger

Have you moved the install location? There isn't a space in the path, is
there? Is there anything remotely non-standard about the device, file
system, or mount method? Are there any kernel messages in your system
log?

One other thing -- double check the file and directory permissions for
the user that's running srcds. For whatever reason it's unable to read
very large numbers of files. Check that the ones spamming those error
messages actually do exist of course!

GL!

-Andrew