From: "Stuart Stegall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Kernel tweaks

With 512mb you should be able to run 2 or 3 hl1engine servers (specially
if two are like private servers)  However if you want to run any
sourceengine servers, I'd suggest upgrading to 1gb.  The source server
has this tendency to allocate like 480mb of ram sometimes during map
changes which would be too much for even a 512mb server.

right now my servers are dual model 285 opterons with 4gb of ram OR dual
Xeon 7140Ms with 8gb of ram.  (we are using the ck patchset kernel
specifically the cks patchset for servers ... using 1000HZ and the CFQ
scheduler)  we use gentoo stable for our hl1 based servers (and most
other nonvalve servers) and win2k3r2 enterprise for our source based
servers .... due to the performance issues with source on linux vs
source on nt5.1

Jonathan wrote:
The memory usage seems to be around 150mb with 20 players.. sounds
logical
if 40 players use 300mb, so i feel good on that point.

Actually with linux using so little of the ram, you should easily be
able
run one server on there... as long as they are not all bots =p.  I see
my
servers (40 man) using about 300 megs each