On Friday 20 October 2006 23:41, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > It's like clock work. Someone new askes every week.
> >
> > Unfortunately Adam, VALVe's "official" stance right now is to not answer
> > any questions regarding 64-bit. The last time we really heard anything
> > the response was "When its ready." I think the last time (We've heard it
> > a lot) was 6-7 months ago.
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I have a question specifically for the Valve team.
> >> What are the specifics on the 64bit HLDS and 64bit Srcds supporting
> >> Vac2(hlds) and a 64bit install for Srcds. Is there a time frame for
> >> these? The future is 64bit and I think its time to finish srcds with
> >> CPU/Memory execution/usage fixes and a 64bit version for linux as
> >> possibly well for Windows.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Adam - CEO
> >> Next-Generation Game Servers
> >> NextGenServers.com
>
> This may be a dumb question, but please tell me ...
> What benefit would there be if I ran a 64bit version instead of a
> 32bit version?
>
> Jeff Love
> Burgh Gaming

There are only two advantages of a 64bit version, the first of which is
negligable, support for servers addressing 4 or more gb of ram, the second,
and greatest advantage of the 64bit architechture, is the doubling of
registers in the x86 vs x86-64 instruction sets, this alone leads to more
efficient code and is the primary advantage of the 64bit architechture
performance wise, as was trumpeted by valves original announcement of 64bit
support when the opteron was released, however since this initial enthusiasm
it appears that valve have forgotten about the 30%+ speed improvement they
claimed of the 64bit architechture with a simple recompilation, no
optimisations! as such we just have to wait until they can be bothered to
release a fresh compile of the code for our shiny new servers. o thats right,
even intel have viable x86-64 cpus these days, its just another sign of
valve's lackadaisical approach to supporting their paying customers, and the
vibrant community thats grown around their products inspite of their
efforts.

just my personal two cents worth.