This is only for source.

Jani, I don't think that telling Valve that you're going to shut down your
servers is going to convince them to revert the changes....plus 3/4 of
people will set the restrict value to 0 anyway, which would effectively
"fix" your server.

Just put in huge letters in the motd...

SET CL_RESTRICT....etc TO ZERO!

That should get most people's attention. That's what one of my customers has
done and his server stays about as full as it used to be.

Also, make it an advert so people that don't read the motd might read the
advert.