Not really an OS setup guide, but it does give some useful information
on customization for performance:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486424
Other then that, this lists archive (after a LOT of noise-filtering) is
quite a good resource as well and if you have any specific questions you
can always email (on, or off list).
Good luck,
---
Regime