Hi-

My name is Mike Durand and I work for Valve.

I've found a solution to a problem that all HL2MP mods run into when a
client that does not own HL2 attempts to connect to a HL2MP mod server
like SourceForts, HL2CTF, etc.

I am going to fix this problem in the engine but here is a server-side
workaround in case anyone is interested:

Create a steam.inf file in your mod's root directory (where the
gameinfo.txt is) on the server. Place only this entry in it:

appID=215

Please note that 320 would work too.

So without the added steam.inf when the server makes its calls to the
Steam back-end for authentication of clients it is passing along the
default value of 220, which is the app ID HL2 single player. And so if
the user doesn't own HL2 then they fail authentication and they are
disconnected.

Sorry for the inconvenience that this bug has caused and feel free to
contact me if this solution doesn't work for you.

-Best Regards,
 Mike Durand
 Valve