have you tried to bind the running server to only one core ?
I did that yesterday, and it works better..

peter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 1:35 PM
Subject: [hlds_linux] 1.6 FPS drops

Hi, I've created a new kernel with the 2.6.21-rc6 using the dynamic
ticks and high timer options, which really improved the performance
of my server. I need to run the servers at 1000 FPS because it
appeals to customers. The hardware is dual quad-core xeon 2.66ghz
with 8gb fully-buffered memory. The FPS is generally at 980-1000, but
sometimes it drops to around 500.

This happens with only one, completely idle server running on the
machine. Perhaps i don't need to care about this, but i'd really like
to know what can cause these drops to happen? Apparently the CPU is
able to keep it at a steady 1000 FPS, and since there's nothing else
running i don't see why it should drop to ~500.