FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Darwin... and I don't speak of the historical
BSDs.

Sure, no more worries. :-P

I do agree that it sucks to support hundreds of systems with different
versions of all sorts of libraries, but I bet there are people in the
BSD camps who are up for more bleeding edge stuff, while others rather
stay conservative with yesterday's C library. What does this give you?
Absolutely the same situation as the bulk of Linux distributions:
different versions of everything.

With Linux, at least the kernel is more or less the same.

~~ Ondra

P.S. I doubt BSD binaries are worth it until Linux support is
more-than-decent, as Linux has a /slightly/ larger userbase. Fixing
Linux should therefore be a higher priority than getting out
one-quarter-broken binaries for yet another platform.