There are so many things you can do with Linux that either you can't do
with Windows, or you have to pay an arm and a leg for professional
software to get it done.  Linux scripting together with cron allows you
to fully automate so many things, simply and cleanly.  Linux shell
scripting is much more powerful and flexible than the equivalent batch
scripting in Windows.

With Linux you have the power to know exactly what is running on your
server, and it is pretty simple to trim off the fat and run only exactly
what you need.  With Windows that is either difficult, or impossible,
especially when it comes to os components (try uninstalling IE or
Outlook Express...).

My experience with Windows and Linux is with HLDS.  When I switched to
Linux, I was able to more than double my sv_maxupdaterate.  The only
reason I can guess for this is that Windows is attaching some kind of
bulky header to each packet, and if this is the case, then the same
performance improvement should apply to SRCDS as well.

I run servers on a home cable connection, so I am much more concerned
with bandwidth usage than a professional server operator might be, but I
would still think that even a professional server operator would find
lower bandwidth usage a good thing.

Drek

Colin Silcock wrote:
Yep Linux, but take some time getting it right. As I understand it kernel
config and version is pretty vital to getting a good server going.

Have fun :)

Colin