Sounds like Centos 5 uses NPTL while Redhat 5 used LinuxThreads. With
NPTL the threads are a single process, while with the older LinuxThreads
each thread was its own process.

Run 'getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION' to check your threading library. If
getconf is not available, execute /lib/libc.so.6. The latter should
contain the line 'Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al'.

More info: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-threading.html

Cheers,
Einar