From: "Tom Leighton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "hlds linux" <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 3:43:21 AM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] VMware

I would be more inclined to run servers in a "VPS" if you want them
fully separated... It will use a lot less resources than VMWare...

http://www.openvz.org

Scott Pettit wrote:

Hello all,

Been a while since my last posting here...

Has anyone experimented with running SRCDS in a VMware guest?  I'm
curious as to how you find the performance.  In some brief testing this
afternoon I configured:

Host Ubuntu Feisty

Guest Ubuntu Dapper (Feisty kept hanging during the install)

Guest configured with one CPU only (my intention is to run two single
CPU Guests on a dual core) and 512MB RAM assigned.  VMware tools was
installed in the guest OS.

Hardware:  P4D 2.8, 2GB RAM

After directing some gamers at it they all reported that it performed
really well, I was expecting quite a performance penalty due to
virtualisation but it appears to be minimal.

That said, I couldn't get the FPS very high (stuck around 30-40), though
I'm presently recompiling the host and guest with 1000HZ kernels to see
if this rectifies it.

While I haven't done anything extensive as yet, it does appear to be a
good option at first looks - so I guess the question is whether anyone
is is doing/has tried this and what were your results on what hardware?

-Scott