It seems that mp_timelimit is virtually useless on most maps. Although
I haven't scrutinized every single permutation of map type and
round/timelimit combinations, in every case I've observed,
mp_timelimit is overridden by mp_maxrounds.

Now, I run a lot of customs on my server
(http://www.2fort2furious.com/images/2f2f_status.png), so perhaps this
behavior is due to maps not being properly built to respect the
mp_timelimit setting. But in the current state of things, I see many
maps go on for hours despite mp_timelimit being 20 minutes long. This
naturally frustrates my players and myself.

My question is: why doesn't mp_timelimit override mp_maxrounds? I'd
expect a response to say, "so the round doesn't end/go into sudden
death abruptly," but mp_timelimit's purpose, I'd argue, is to prevent
rounds from going on into eternity. Why not make it configurable, so
that one can preserve the current behavior or force mp_timelimit to
always take precedence over mp_maxrounds?

Ideally, if mp_timelimit is 0, mp_maxrounds will be the only criteria
by which nextmap progression is based on. If mp_timelimit is nonzero,
it takes precedence over mp_maxrounds, unless mp_maxrounds is met
first.

This issue is very important to me. I try to support high-quality and
unique custom maps and have been visited by several mapmakers testing
out their work, including Furyo and Vilepickle. I find that there are
many maps I have to remove from my rotation due to excessively long
round times, a problem which could very easily be solved if
mp_timelimit behaved intuitively - by ending the round or going into
sudden death upon expiring.

---

Two other minor issues: there was once a test cvar that would allow
one to force sudden death. At some point, it was removed. I wanted to
point out that this functionality was extremely useful and I'd request
that it be re-added.

Secondly, I sent an email to this list earlier about the possibility
of being able to turn off the voice command spam protection. Although
the message was a bit tongue-in-cheek, my request was sincere and I'm
still hoping this can be controlled by the addition of a cvar.

Thank you,

Ryan