For CSS(srcds) I use a wrapper script to modify the -dir  '.' option to
$PWD.
"./steam" next to srcds_run is then just a symlink to the wrapper which
redirects to the ~/bin/valve/steam.

case "$1" in
            "-dir")
                options+=("$1")
                if [ "$2" != "." ]
                then
                    installdir="$2"
                    options+=("$2")
                else
                    installdir="$PWD"
                    options+=("$PWD")
                    # FIX lineNo:312 of srcds_run so it's not localized.
                    # extracted -- 'CMD="$STEAM -command update -dir .";'
                fi
                shift 2
                ;;
               *)