kama wrote:
> Wouldnt it be better to be able to switch on so only some STEAMID's could
> use rcon? Something similar to banid, removid and writeid?
>
> Something like:
> rcon_user_add "STEAM_0:0:0"
> rcon_user_add "STEAM_1:2:3"
> rcon_user_del "STEAM_0:1:2"
> rcon_user_write
>
> At least one thing this solve is the password sniffing on LANs.

I think that would require a massive rewrite, because rcon is used
totally differently from the "in-game" protocol. Currently if you use
rcon from in-game, it creates a separate connection to the server (using
TCP) and the server doesn't actually know your steamid, but only your IP
address (although it may guess the steamid by looking at the players
list and comparing the addresses).

Also apps like HLSW or HLStatsX (partially) would not work anymore as
they are not related to any steam account.

You can always use firewall to block the TCP port on certain IPs (or
actually allow from only certain IPs). I am pretty sure the server uses
the TCP port only for rcon connections.

Just my 2 cents :)