-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im Auftrag von Jon Swope
Gesendet: Montag, 10. November 2008 23:16
An: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Betreff: Re: [hlds_linux] Status

I seem to be alone in this, but I rather like the matchmaking system for the
client side.  It creates a much more user-friendly way to quickly join a
game, as well as an easy way to create a game with a group of friends.  The
NAT traversal for local servers has been fantastic.  That said, I can
definitely understand the problem it creates for us server administrators,
since we lose the ability to create a community around the server like other
games have in the past.
I could only think of a few things for improving matchmaking:
- After creating a lobby, have an "Advanced" option for creating game to
allow you to pick a server manually, or skip the server search entirely and
create a listen server.  This would allow LAN games to not take up a
dedicated server, and allow people who wish to play on specific servers
their option to do so.
- Add the ability to do matchmaking with Steam Community Groups, instead of
just friends.  An example would be adding the option off the main menu
underneath "With Friends" that says "With Group >" and then would give you a
list of your groups.  Upon choosing one, it would give you a list of games
you can join within that group.

Upon implementation of these features, I demand monetary compensation.
 Thank you. ;-)

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Erik Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> First off, thanks to everyone for running servers for the demo. We knew
> going into the release that we were going to need to figure out some ways
> make it worth it for server administrators, and now we have a ton of
> feedback to work with.
>
> Right now we're looking at ways that server administrators can both build
> community around their game server (by subscribing to matchmaking) as well
> as service their group of "regulars" that play on their server. Hooking
game
> servers into Steam Community is going to be our first step, and we're
> working on that now.
>
> There is a key difference between Left 4 Dead and games like
Counter-Strike
> and Team Fortress in terms of matchmaking that we wanted to solve, and
> didn't think the server browser could accomplish. In CS and TF2, you can
> have 2 or 3 players leave in the middle of a game, have their slots filled
> by new people, and everyone else's experience doesn't completely suffer.
> When a player or two leaves Left 4 Dead the game suffers quite a bit, and
we
> were worried that the server browser model wasn't the right one for this
> game. In hindsight, there are a number of cases where the server browser
> does a better job than the new matchmaking system does, so it is highly
> likely that we'll be adding it back in soon. It isn't trivially easy to
turn
> back on, but there is overlap between it and the Steam Community work we'd
> like to do.
>
> Right now we're working toward getting that release out within a week or
> so.
>
> There are a number of Valve employees reading all of the posts on this
> list, and while we can't reply to every question that comes across, the
> discussions here are ones we reference commonly when talking about what to
> do next internally.

07:53