-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Milton Ngan
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:58 AM
To: hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds_linux] l4d Dedicated server notes

I have been working with Chris to get all of the dedicated servers up and
running with the new features.

What I have been using to host dedicated servers for L4D is:

2x 2.66 GHz Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield) or 2x 2.5GHz LV Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield)
8GB RAM
Debian Lenny (2.6.26-1-amd64)

On this configuration I have been able to run 40 instances of the L4D
dedicated server supporting 120-140 players simultaneously. With Vs mode,
this number will increase with no noticeable change in performance.

The typical command line I am using to start up the servers in -fork mode
looks like this:

./srcds_run \
-game left4dead \
-ip 1.1.1.1\
-netconport 9000+##\
-netconpassword password\
-steamport 27690+##\
+hostname My_L4D_Server_##\
+sv_tags reservable\
+exec server/##.cfg\
+map l4d_dem_hospital01_apartment\
-fork 40

I think what Chris forgot to mention was that the ## syntax can be used in
an expression. So here rather than just substituting the instance number in,
I am using it to add the value to an existing number.

Someone asked about why -exec ##.cfg didn't work. I would suggest using
+exec ##.cfg instead. This is the format I am using and this appears to
function correctly. Also, make sure that your files are zero padded to two
digits (i.e 01, 02, etc...).

I also had to do a lot of shuffling around of port numbers to allow 40
server instances to run correctly. This is because many of the default port
numbers are too close to one another to support more than about 5-10
servers. The ports you need to worry about are:

-netconport
-steamport
+clientport
+hostport
+tv_port
+matchmakingport
+systemlinkport

I control the first two from the command line since they are not convars,
the rest I put into my config files. Just space the port nunbers apart so
there is a gap larger than the number of dedicated servers you intend to run
on the same box.

Milton