Hi,

L4D (and indeed any srcds server) seems to use the number of udp ports
whether forked or not; it's just that forking and the decrease in cpu usage
by the Linux server have led to port conflicts being much more common.  That
being said, that number is "4", not "a screenful", so there's something odd
going on there... if you use a stateful firewall, it may be worth examining
the connection tracking table to see what, if anything, is connected to the
other end