I've actually had a few of my own servers go above 4 players, including
one time that I experienced first hand. It seems as though sometimes the
matchmaking system assigns two smaller groups to the same server, even
if it means 6 people total. The overflow people are forced to spectate
or leave. I don't know if there is an actual way to forward people to
free servers though, since they did disable that in the OB engine.