I'd rather not chmod the users tty. I have other admins that I give ssh
access to as well, and I do lock it down quite a bit as well.

I create a user for each game. I then create a folder for each server and
either symlink the data to save space and time, or just copy the data. Then
I run the screens and have them cron'd under one user.

Then users can login to the account, attach using screen -rd server1 or
whatever the name is. Works well for me and when left alone crashes don't
really occur.

Also, I don't run just HLDS or L4D server specifically. There also bf2 cod4
to worry about which don't have netconnect ports and their own daemons like
BF2CC. So depending screen will either work or not.

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Dave Snodgrass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> No, you dont. screen -x will let you reattach to any user's screen -
> you may have to chmod the user's TTY, though.
>

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:17 PM, J T <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The problem is that you have to be logged on as the user you're that you
> > su'd into.
> >
> > Just su - into the server and run the script. I use the following which I
> > grabbed from a google search and modified it.
> >

> http://gibthis.com/linux-servers-support-information/14-linux-hlds-l4d-startup-script.html
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Anthal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Why not just create a user, like l4d, and run the process from that
> >> account. Whenever you need to re-attach, just su to l4d, and 'screen -r
> >> $game' (whatever $game may be)

> >> -debug$extra_config_options"

> > --
> > ---------