At 04:51 PM 12/2/2008, David A. Parker wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I had a quick question about the load average calculation.
>
>In the (cores * CPUs) calculation, is that cores per CPU or total cores
>in the system?  For example, if you have two quad-core processors, would
>you want a load average <= 16 (8 cores * 2 CPUs) or <= 8 (4 cores * 2 CPUs)?
>
>      Thanks,
>      Dave

load averages are averages of processes in the run queue, ie; running
doing work. Another thing to consider is linux processes waiting for
disk activity increase load as well.. If you have 8 processors and
your load is 10, you need to take the load average and divide it by
the number of
physical cpus to get what the aggregate CPU usage is total.. ie: a
load of 8 with 4 processors is overloaded by 100% (200% total).

There are all kinds of tricks you can use to stop excess load, ie;
don't run high res timers, get more processors, etc :)

G. "Monk" Stanley
<gary at summit-servers dot com | gary at DragonflyBSD dot org>
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~gary

"There currently are 7 different ways to get time from a computer.
All of them can't agree on how long a second is supposed to be" -Me