I ran into this.  I believe either the map needs to change, or the exec
banned.cfg command needs to be executed.  I'll check my notes when I get
back home, but I think one or the other needs to take place.  Of course, on
a map change, the server.cfg is executed, which a lot of people keep those
exec banned/listip.cfg's in.

                                                    -Richard Eid