At 01:41 AM 2/19/2009, kERPLUNK wrote:
>Hi, i have a serious problem with my players ping/lag.
>I think, that comes from my server-side fps fluctuation.
>Is there some way to make it really really stable?

No.

>I tried a lot of things, like:
>
>- Changing sys_ticrate to 0, 100, 120, 333, 500, 1000, etc.
>
>- Recompile kernel with/without:
>Dynamic Ticks

This is bad and increases interrupt latency.

>100/250/300/1000 HZ

1000hz increases the precision of things like sleep, but the error vs
realtime increases. It also updates the interrupt frequency
so interrupts fire more often.

>Preemtible/No Forced Preemtion (Desktop/Server)
>Machine Check Exeption

Premption should also be set to "Low Latency"

>Microcode Patch

This just patches in microcode for <x,y,z> errata on cpus.

>NUMA

Numa isn't supported on anything other than x64 + Opteron systems.

>High Resolution Timer

Needed for high resolution nanosleep timers.

>Multi-core scheduler
>hpet

The first just adds a few more ns of scheduler latency. HPET is nice
to have and use.

>real time clock
>dma

Doesn't affect anything.

>(i think the problem comes from here.. kernel settings..)
>
>- Another kernel with rt patch (following this guide:
>http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.php/EN:Linux_Kernel_Optimization)

RT Patches don't really eliminate problems with power management
stuff. It's supposed to completely elminate scheduler latency
and guarantee nanosleep/gettimeofday latency.

>- Allocating process to specific core (taskset)

Good to use. Prevents errant hardware interrupt latency

>- Using nice/renice/chrt

Nice really doesn't help out as much as chrt.

>- Booting kernel with noapic noapm

Turning off APIC is not recommended. Try disabling power management
settings in your bios. It sounds like SMI latency, or speedstep.