That would explain why versus doesn't work. I had removed the steamgroup
and it worked again. Today I re-added it to see what happens, and I got
strange results:

[st...@server ~]$ ./master_query
'\gamedir\left4dead\gametype\empty,sv_search_key_theville1010,versus'
216.75.12.158:27019
216.75.12.158:27017
[st...@server ~]$ ./master_query
'\gamedir\left4dead\gametype\empty,sv_search_key_theville1010,versu'
216.75.12.158:27021
216.75.12.158:27020
216.75.12.158:27018
216.75.12.158:27016

Somehow some servers work, and some don't. This is a forked server with
the same config, and sv_showtags is identical across the servers:
Public :  empty,sourcemod,coop,versus
Private:  empty,grp:XXXXi,sourcemod,sv_search_key_theville1010,coop,versus

Each time I restart the servers I get different results it seems, but
it's a lot more reliable with a shorter tag string. Thanks for
researching this.