Jeff Sugar wrote:

> Speaking of which, I'd rather not make my own email for this. *Is
> sv_search_key currently working? I can't seem to get it to work.* I set it
> on the server, then on the client, and it can't find shit. I'd use
> sv_password, but then I can't have a lobby -_-
>
> Valve seems to want to make it as difficult as possibly to run a
> community-oriented semiprivate server.
>
> -Atreus

Yes, I too would like some clarification on all of this. (what currently
works, and what is going to be implemented)

One might assume they are heading towards using
ms_force_dedicated_server ip:port as the standard, based on the changelog:
"Made ms_force_dedicated_server not require cheats"

At this point, I and my fellow admins have the other servers we have
echo out when we exec our autoexec or other config, that we copy and
paste from the console before launching our lobby.   It works quite
well.  If you use this method, comment out your search key, as having it
in the client memory will drastically slow down the lobby launch.
exec yourconf.cfg
yourconf.cfg:
echo "1 ms_force_dedicated_server #.#.#.#:27015"
echo "2 ms_force_dedicated_server #.#.#.#:27015"
echo "3 ms_force_dedicated_server #.#.#.#:27015"

Personally, I don't understand why valve doesn't take the list of steam
group servers, and add a pulldown menu in the lobby, or at least round
robin the available steamgroup servers, or something along those lines.

Being able to go to specific servers through the lobby easily is pretty
important for a community.   If that was effective, it would take away
the reason to use the server browsers at all for the most part, imho.

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=2390  talks about the new
matchmaking system, but is not clear with regards to group servers if
any changes will be made, and makes only a vague reference to: "This is
just the first step in giving players control over what servers they
play on and the type of experience they have."

Kevin