You guys are looking for mp_gamemode.

By default, when you fire up the server, it is set to 'coop'.  The values
you can use are coop, versus, and survival.  If you don't join from a lobby,
then you have to set this manually through rcon or however you adjust CVars.

So if you switch it to a versus map using any other method besides a lobby,
then you need to manually go in and change the value for mp_gamemode to
versus.

                                                    -Richard Eid