At 10:05 PM 5/19/2009, bob dolet wrote:
>Thanks for the reply gary i appreciate it. I did state that i am not running
>ntp, i was in the past but figured it was causing issues, so it has not been
>used for quite some time. Also, i am not currently running a tickless
>kernel, but i have experienced this issue on tickless and "ticked" kernels.
>I just dont understand why a system reboot seems to resolve the issue for a
>day or two, considering there is nothing substantial running on the machine
>outside of ssh, screen and game servers.

Here's what could be causing your "spikes"

- TSC sync issues (newer linux attempts to keep the tsc's timestamps sync'd up)
- CPU Speed / CPU Idle in the kernel
- Speedstep in the BIOS
- Other types of power management
- CPU errata
- Ethernet cable errors (CRCs)
- Services running like irqbalance
- SMI interrupts firing off and consuming the bus for a few hundred ms/uS
- "ACPI Processor" enabled
- Tickless kernel
- Dynamic ticks
- Buggy kernel

If it doesn't happen on a stock kernel, and happens on a newer one,
perhaps it's a bug in the kernel. You should always turn off the
power management options
as they can cause problems with things of this nature.