It's been a while since I ran Linux, but couldn't you just do:
mv ~/.steam/ClientRegistry.blob ~/.steam/ClientRegistry.blob.bak
?

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Miano,
Steven M.
Sent: Wednesday, 10 June 2009 11:54 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] FW: Resolution: steam + update +
AssertPreCondition + NonNullFilePath

I think that that isn't the norm.

The actual command to be bookmarked should be something more along the lines
of:

mv /home/<Some User Name>/.steam/ClientRegistry.blob /home/<Some User
Name>/.steam/ClientRegistry.blob.bak

Just because I don't think most people will be running their srcds servers
as root, or be nearly as vigilant as you are. ; )

No offense/insult meant.

~Steve