Matt,

I do the same thing with my servers that you want to do by making use of the
sv_search_key, and *not* sv_steamgroup_exclusive (using the two of them together
resulted in not being able to use the lobby to connect to my servers at all).

All you have to do is be the lobby leader and have your sv_search_key set, and
you should be able to create a public game that other users can join. I usually
just play with friends (that do not have sv_search_key set) but it should work
just as well for a public game.

Good luck,
Bill

Matt Ford wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> There seems to be a lot of misleading/confusing information on forums and
> 3rd party support sites regarding dedicated server setup for L4D....
>
> Here's what I want my dedicated server to do:
>
>  1) not be used unless the lobby leader is in a specific steam group
>
> AND
>
>  2) be automatically found by a lobber leader when he starts a game
>
> Now I can fix 1 by using sv_steamgroup_exclusive xxxx.  Then the lobby
> leader has to use ms_force_dedicated_server xx.xx.xx.xx.  This is okay, but
> for non-techie gamers a bit of a pain.
>
> I can fix 2 by using sv_search_key on the server and lobby leaders client.
> However, no one from the public arena can find it - this makes for lonely
> games.
>
> Is it unreasonable for the default search from the lobby iterate over steam
> group servers before expanding to the public servers at large?
>
> Is this possible now, given I've likely mis-understood, some of the cvars?
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
>
> Matt.

- --
William Korb, President & CTO          Phone:  715-382-5462
QISC, Inc.
19945 82nd Ave., Suite 201             E-mail: k...@qisc.com
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729-5631          URL:    http://www.qisc.com/
"Tilting at Digital Windmills since 1995."