Let me make a few assumptions here.  I assume that:

1. You have a box and the "client" in question pays for a CS 1.6 server
with N slots which runs on this box.

2. You don't want him to change the number of slots because he only pays
for N slots.

Is this the case?  If so, then my solution to the problem would be to
tell him that he either explains to you in detail exactly what he is
doing and how he is doing it, or you cancel his service and revoke his
access to the box.

If my assumptions are incorrect then I must be misunderstanding all of
this, since I can't think of any other reason he would have access to
the server.cfg but you wouldn't want him changing the slot count.