I remember the same symptoms happening when "quit" was used as well, and
I think that is something Valve needs to fix (forks should auto-restart
like any other instance of srcds, but they don't).  However, server
forks are apparently dying on their own since the July 31 update.  And,
as Ronny pointed out, it seems this only happens to non-idle forks.