Dave Williams wrote:
> Nightbox,
>
> I really do have to say from a professional and players point of view
> that if your GSP is restricting SSH on your nix box then they are
> nothing but morons and you really should switch. It's not difficult to
> restrict ssh access to certain folders on a per user basis. If your GSP
> can't manage this then they really have no idea what they are doing.
>
> Of course if you only have on server hosted on a nix machine then you
> will need to ask them to add the - autoupdate switch as already has been
> suggested. Even then IMHO you will need to refer to point 1.
> Specifically the moron part.
>
> I know i don't post on this list much but that is because i just don't
> need too. The saying "too many cooks...." springs to mind.
>
> Anyway, consider this with great thought as it can only be your
> decision.

SSH for every customer. What a nice idea.
Yeah, you can restrict access.
Until one of those lovely privilege escalation exploits is in the wild :D
Don't get me wrong, as a customer I'd love shell access.
But as a supplier I'd prefer not to give "anyone" access at that level.
It's just one more security risk you take and if someone exploits it,
he could take down all customer accounts on the same machine.
Now that situation would make you look moronic.