>> You need high res timers (HPET), on a newer kernel (2.6.24)
>>
>> -M
>
>I hated that kernel version. I'm running 2.6.26.5-rt8. And even with hpet
> enabled you still want the higher kernel frequency wouldn't you?

I think Gary meant that you'd need a 2.6.24 or later kernel. HPET and
hrtimers are a rather new addition to Linux.

If you run something beyond 2.6.26 or so, make sure to also flag the server
as a "real-time" process to remove the kernel's built-in SCHED_OTHER timer
slack, which defaults to 50 usec and makes the FPS a bit less stable. This
can be done with the "chrt" utility.

With high resolution timers enabled, your machine doesn't need to run at
1000hz, because processes will be woken up at the right times regardless. In
fact, a lower hz rate like 100 generally works out better; the lower number
leads to less flipping of processes between CPUs, fewer unnecessary context
switches to the kernel, etc. The only real advantage to a high hz might be
in more accurate process accounting.

In my testing, the "-rt" kernel patchset led to an overall reduction in
performance, due to the additional context switching. YMMV.

-John