It's not only a heartbeat issue. Jake is also correct. There are less
people (naturally) playing it than before, over half less. Last time i
checked during the demo release and day after that, peak was 21 000+,
now 9440 and only 4610 people atm in it.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I guess the servers are overloaded when it goes public, for few days.
Then again i feel that this demo didn't have too much to play on. It's
over pretty quickly and shorter than the L4D1 was year ago.

-ics