Not really clear on what you are asking.
I'm not doing any commands via rcon. Everything is being
executed directly on the server console.

Interesting though, I just tried (from the server console) turning sv_cheats
to 1 and I get:

sv_cheats 1
Can't use cheat cvar sv_cheats in multiplayer, unless the server has
sv_cheats set to 1.

However, with this command I actually can see the present value.

sv_cheats
"sv_cheats" = "0"
 notify cheat replicated
 - Allow cheats on server

I tried setting sv_pure 1 in autoexec. Not sure if it took affect because I
still get the same
message from server console when I type sv_pure with no parameters.