Validation rejections occur when the versions are mismatched between
client and server. Delete your steam.inf and steam_appid.txt and run a
verify_all to fix. Having ^@ just means you saved it with the wrong
encoding. All file edits for Linux server should be done preferably with
a text editor that conserves encoding (protip, notepad converts to DOS
encoding which will break things).