Have to say, that's not my experience.

I have 3 match servers with STV running on a quadcore box that's also
running, among other things, 6 L4D2 servers.  If there was a problem I'd
know about it pretty damn quick.

So STV might be necessary for this CPU spike but it's not sufficient...
being match servers, they tend to run for about 14 hours in the day without
being used, and even when they are it's only for about 3 or 4 maps a night.
Maybe what you're seeing also needs a certain number of people to have
joined, or a certain number of mapchanges to have been done?  (My servers
are restarted every morning, since as part of their auto-restart they'll do
an update check and pick up any overnight updates)

I do have one server that isn't updated nightly - the idle server*.  So far
it's been up for 6 days 3 hours, and the only issue I've noticed is that if
you don't have a mapchange every day or so you start getting
"rubber-banding" stutters several times a second.  In fact, considering it's
being run with "nice -n 1", has sv_maxrate 15,000 and sv_max(update|cmd)rate
30, it's surprisingly playable ;)

*yes _I_ know it's not necessary now, but as long as people are using it,
I'll keep running it.