I assume .wav files are needed to keep track of how long a sound
actually is (e.g. for looping sounds in ambient_generic)
.vmt files are needed to keep track of surface properties
(Footstep-sounds, dustclouds when bullets hit them?)
But i don't see any reason why a server would need all the .vtf files,
too - they look kinda unneded to me as the server doesn't do any
actual rendering.