Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.  This is just plain crazy.  I
rebooted the box (to make sure there are no weird ghost processes running,
although there did not seem to be before).  Then I created a whole new
directory and did a full, clean install of CS:S into the new directory from
Steam.  Now, the CS:S server appears to start up just fine, but it crashes if
someone connects to it.  If I start up the server and then change the map using
"map de_dust2" (or any other map name) in the console, the new map loads, but
then the server hangs for about 5 minutes after this message is printed:

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to update local steamclient.dll.
Continuing with current version anyway.

During this time, I cannot type anything on the console, and the server stops
responding to A2S_INFO and other queries.  After about five minutes, it spits
this message out to the console and then seems to be fine, except that no one
can join it:

*       Unable to load Steam support library.*
*       This server will operate in LAN mode only.*

Again, this is a clean CS:S install, but this is the third install of CS:S on
this box which has had this problem.  I never had any problems with CS:S on
this box up until the last update.  The box is also running servers for TF2, CS
1.6, and CS:CZ and those seem to be running just fine.

The OS is Debian Lenny 64-bit, up-to-date.

I'm at a total loss.

    - Dave