Good luck to you on this and I hope that you get the proper Valve support for this. (Meaning that if they won't do it, that they help out the community to do it.)

--
Ravnox

Quoting Ben Mendis <dragonwis...@gmail.com>:

I guess I should make myself clear.

My intentions (at least in the short term) are to prepare the necessary
scripts and patches to generate the Linux binaries so that we can run
dedicated servers from IA-32 Linux, as we can already do with many other
VALVe games.

I am sure I'm not the only admin here who prefers to use Linux for hosting
dedicated servers. If I am successful (and there's no guarantee I will be),
I would want to share my work with those admins. Whether I share it in the
form of a source tree, a binary, or set of patches isn't really important;
but I do want to be able to share it.

Additionally, in the process of working toward that end I want to be able to
use industry standard tools and processes for collaborating with other
developers and admins. Specifically, a version control system with a
repository hosted on the internet where I can share changes with my
collaborators.

I am NOT asking for GPL or Apache or BSD. I'm not advocating for any
particular license. I'm asking for clarification on the terms of whichever
license is applicable to the code; and for sufficient permissions to use a
version control system and distribute my changes.

Unless the license stipulates otherwise, I would license my work under a
permissive license such as BSD or MIT.

When I mentioned a repository, I was referring specifically to a source code
repository. I'm not at all interested in topic of package repositories or
repackaging the software for the purpose of alternate distribution methods.
I don't have any problem with the current distribution model.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Katrina Payne <