I've noticed performance is a LOT worse on certain default kernels of some
distro's. Customizing the kernel is a great way to increase performance in
many cases. Many times the effect isn't really noticeable, this is usually
related to the hardware. There are plenty of good guides written about
optimizing kernels for srcds.