I think less than having some sort of "public fast DL server" operated
by Valve, a better idea would be to just more aggressively absorb the
popular maps as "official" ones. In TF2 we get a community map that
goes official every 10 or so updates, and at this point there's about
30 stock maps that come with the game. If this was done more
frequently, it would give all players access to the new content as
well as remove the need for some sort of public repository for maps.