OK here is the contents of the new steam.inf file (after first update
tonight):
----
PatchVersion=1.1.8.9
ProductName=tf
appID=440
----

My "off to the side" instance got far enough along in its -verify_all to
have pulled in the new steam.inf file, so I copied it into place on the
live servers tree.

Now I am caught up with everyone else whose games just segfault on them at
start up. :)

Since we've already heard from at least one person who pulled out all of
their plugins, I'm not going to bother pulling metamod and sourcemod out.

If I can get a core file (or somebody else can) maybe Valve can use it to
figure out what they broke and get us another update out.