I will have to agree with Dan. I believe even the quickplay system is
having a negative effect on TF2. Quickplay is good for getting into a
game quickly, but it is featured prominently as the first button on
the screen so everyone clicks on it and never learns there are unique
servers that aren't on there.

Most people probably never stop using it because they probably assume
the browser is just a manual way to pick the same servers available in
quickplay. I am seeing swaths of 24 slot servers with default maps and
respawn times filled all the time while some of my favorite servers
that don't fit the quickplay standard (maps, slightly faster respawn
times, larger slots) that used to be full at midnight now empty out 4
hours earlier. Some of them are shutting down, and I find myself
playing less and less TF2.

It becomes very difficult to find servers that aren't a cookie cutter
quickplay build because:

1. Players who have been weaned on quickplay probably never figure out
alternative settings exist.
2. If they search through the browser, not only are there 4,000+
servers to choose from, but these custom servers have to compete with
the quickplay servers that are filled with even more players already.
3. More and more cookie-cutter quickplay servers are popping up
because they are the only ones getting filled like before. No players
= no donations.

It is my humble opinion that quickplay is creating an unhealthy
homogeneous selection of servers and players. The average player can
only be entertained so much by the standard settings before they get
bored of them, and instead of finding a customized server that suits
their tastes, they quit the game without knowing about the
alternatives. I believe this is why the number of TF2 players have
dropped below CS:S and continued to decline until this recent update
and impending winter break.