Severeal ways, unuseal high ingoing bandwidth usage, extreme server
lag and/or flood of repetive/strange packets (use a packet
analyzer/sniffer like Ethereal). A few years ago I identified someone
DOS'ing our servers by simple looking for strange packets (the old but
now fixed zero data exploit). To our amusement, we managed to identify
the DOS'er with some help, and it turned out to be a server admin from
another community :|.