I'm hoping to get some advice from the undoubted wealth of experience
subscribed to this list.

We've got dedicated server, 6 x 2.3ghz (AMD Opteron 6276), 16GB RAM, 200GB HDD,
which struggles to run a full 24 slot TF2 server smoothly.

It used to be running CentOS 5.x, and a TF2 server would occasionally spike
beyond 100% of a core. Months of experimentation resulted in some improvement,
but nothing really satisfying.
Also tried all the things suggested in
http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.php/EN:Linux_Optimization_Guide

For the last few days, it's been rebuilt with Debian 6.0 with a
built-on-the-box kernel of 3.3.1, following the recommendations listed in the
fragaholics' wiki.
http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.php/EN:Kernel_Configuration_General

Still there has been no improvement. If anything it's worse with sustained
periods of srcds_linux requiring more than 100% of a core.

The TF2 server is just running a basic sourcemod setup.

Any advise would be very gratefully received. Could it be that the hardware is
simply not up to it regardless of OS and configuration?

Has anyone here manage to get a 24 slot TF2 server to run smoothly on the same
or comparable hardware?

Happy to supply any further info as required.

--
Best regards,
 frog                          mailto:f...@thehh.co.uk